We are seeking the services of an experienced Car Mechanic to join our team of professionals in the freight industry. Interested persons should send their resume, cover letter and application to us immediately at Canadian National Railway. salary package is very attractive!
Car Mechanics (Freight Car Repairers) maintain, inspect, repair, build and rebuild railway freight cars and trailers in compliance with federal and company regulations.
Job type: Full-time
Salary: To be discussed at interview
location: Winnipeg, Manitoba (Preferred)
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on the location and circumstances:
- Inspect cars components in agreement with railroad associations, company operating standards and Federal Railroad Administration regulations.
- Perform all preventive maintenance that are scheduled or on-request and repair on rail cars, under frames, on structures, draft systems safety appliances and any associated tests.
- Repair and install railway car parts such as air valves, compressors, bearings, air cylinders, couplings, and piping.
- Use hand equipments, welding equipment, power tools, cutting torches and measuring instruments.
- Perform transport vehicles services including trucks, cranes, track mobile and shop equipment.
- Prepare inspection, work reports, maintenance and record details on prescribed forms in accordance with established procedures.
- Irregular shifts, may include nights, evenings, weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime.
- Work indoors and outdoors in varying environmental and weather conditions.
- Frequent bending, squatting, stooping, kneeling, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg), performing overhead work, and occasionally up to 85 pounds (39 kg).
- Regular balancing/climbing, grasping, and good eye-hand coordination.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Previous welding experience gained through formal training is an asset.
- Knowledge with electrical and electronic tools and instruments.
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- Ability to work independently, adapt to different situations and manage stress.
- Maintain positive relations with others and demonstrate good teamwork.
- Excellent verbal, writing, reading comprehension skills.
- Ability to ascertain the condition of parts/objects for wear and/or defects.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established procedures of safety, quality and client satisfaction.
- Technical/ Vocational training and/or knowledge of Rail Operating Procedures.
- Basic computer skills.